Bible Study - Patience


 


Hello friends! Today I am sharing with you a Bible Study that I wrote last year. It focuses on the topic of patience. I believe it is something many of us struggle with on a daily basis, especially with lockdowns. Without further ado, here it is :)


Patience


Today I wanted to bring up the topic of patience. I know, I know, there are a thousand studies on patience,

but there is a good reason for that! Patience is a huge part of our lives, not just in Christian lives, but in

everyone’s! Anyway, I think that patience is something we ALL want more of, especially right now as we

are all struggling through having to be at home all the time and how easy it is to get on each other's nerves.

I know for me it’s definitely getting harder and harder to be patient with my younger siblings when we are

all in the same place all the time. 

1 Corinthians 13:4 tells us that LOVE is patient and kind. So if you are being patient and kind to others around you, you are loving them! Now I know how hard it is to be patient and kind ALL the time, but if you truly love God and if you are one of His children, Galatians 6:9 tells us we will never tire of doing good and we will reap in due season if we do not give up. This means that if we always are patient and kind, God will reward us when he sees fit. 

As children of God we must treat one another as we would want to be treated, even (especially!) our enemies. Ephesians 4:2 tells us this: “ I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with PATIENCE, bearing with one another in LOVE.” 

Patience is not all about being kind and loving, although that is a big part of it. Patience is also about just waiting and not being anxious. Philippians 4:6 says this: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be known to God.” This verse is perfect for right now during this pandemic.  

The Heidelberg Catechism can also help us to understand this better. Lord’s Day 10 Q&A 28 says: Q. How does the knowledge of God’s creation and providence help us? A. We can be PATIENT in adversity, thankful in prosperity, and for the future we can have good confidence in our faithful God and Father that no creature will ever separate us from His LOVE. For all creatures are so completely in His hand that without His will they can neither move nor be moved. 

Wow. This is so powerful! And notice it has both the words patient and love! Both are big things we have talked about. When I read this, I am also reminded of the faith of the apostle Paul in the midst of tribulation. He was so faithful and joyful in God that he was able to be content no matter the circumstances, even in prison. 

But all these verses and promises are only words and are only hopeful for us if we are truly God’s children! 1 John 1:9 says; “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” He is willing to forgive us! But we must first confess and believe. 

I want to leave you with one last verse to keep in your heart. It is a prayer of David but is still a wonderful prayer for us today. It is a perfect reminder for us of how, as God’s chosen, we must speak, live, and act. “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer.” Psalm 19:14


I hope this study will be a comfort and encouragement to anyone struggling with patience. And as always, feel free to leave a comment! Constructive criticism is appreciated :)

-Sarah Grace

Comments

  1. LOVE it, girl!!! Patience is definitely something I struggle to have, especially when life hits really hard, but this is a beautiful reminder and renews my desire to wait patiently on the Lord. Your post reminded me of Isaiah 40:31: "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

    Greatly enjoyed your post, girl!!! Keep on writing for Jesus!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post especially! This one's probably one of my favorites, as it really speaks to me (being a person who stresses out a lot)! The verses were well chosen too. (Issie's too!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment